Monday, August 4, 2008

Mandala (N013)


Mandala (N013)
Originally uploaded by kenneth_rougeau
My partner, Sally, has been interested in mandalas for a while, so as I was exploring flickr for exercise no. 4 I thought I'd find an interesting mandala to share.

Sally (and myself looking over her shoulder) is experimenting with software which samples her original photographic work and recreates it as a mandala pattern - the technique involves taking a small part of the image and reflecting it on itself.

Unfortunately, Sally hasn't any images online yet - but I have been fortunate enough to find this one, created by Charlotte Self & Kenneth Rougeau. I like blue as a colour, and I like the colour transitions between the coolness of the outer colours and the warmth of the interior.

6 comments:

Bill said...

Dear Fish,

Am fascinated by the term "Mandala." Have never heard of it before but am I wrong in thinking that it makes use of the effect that we used to get from an old fashioned Kaleidoscope? Do tell please......

Bill said...

Have never heard of the term "Mandala" before. Is this a new use of the old fashioned Kaleidoscope?

S. Toogod Tobetrue said...

Hi simon,

It's sort of complicated - Mandalas are traditionally symmetrical drawings in Eastern spiritualities that are used as a meditational tool (both in the drawing of them and the looking at them). Have a look at Wikipedia's article.

Ones created from photographs are usually inspired by this example, but use techniques of reflection such as you'll find in a kaleidoscope, rather than hand drawn patterns.

I actually find the hand drawn stuff rather more clever...

Aunty of 3 said...

Interesting! I went and saw Tibetian monks creating a sand mandala at the Lake House a few years ago and it was incredible. All done in utter silence (which immediately took me out of my comfort zone!) However, I've been intrigued by them ever since.

S. Toogod Tobetrue said...

I've never gotten to see a live Mandala creation! How lucky... although I don't know if I'd have the patience for it.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you like our artwork. Thanks for sharing it with the world at large! :)